I am usually not a movie-crier BUT...

As a '90s child I grew up having to endure others' indignation that I didn't cry to the movie of the decade: Titanic. On a whole, this film never made any impression on me, so forgive this apparent 'blasphemy'. I find it funny that now people are more indignant than saddened about the ending. 'Leo clearly fitted on that door too, Kate!' 😏

However, as reluctant as I am to admit it, some movies - or certain elements in them - simply trigger the unbidden tears in my eyes. It's rarely the grand brushstrokes that does it for me. But when a child is experiencing the loss or death of a parent through some tragedy, such as terminal illness, it hits me particularly hard, especially if portrayed in a strong, unshakable way. Whether it's a child losing its parent or a parent losing a child, the subject is just... heart-wrenching.

With above facts in mind, I also have a weakness for certain Disney films, of course, like BambiDumboThe Lion King, and The Fox and the Hound. But then again, who hasn't? Those without a heart, I guess...




Anyhow, here are some of the films which - off the top of my head - have made me teary-eyed at a certain point:
  • Coco (2017). Actually, I think this is the first Disney film I've shed a tear to since my childhood days.
  • Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993). People who say "talking" animal movies suck honestly haven't watched this one yet.
  • Shadowlands (1993). Anthony Hopkins as C. S. Lewis, one of my childhood literary heroes, breaking down and Debra Winger's Joy Gresham, Lewis's great love, dying of cancer... This emotional roller coaster always makes me cry.
  • Terms of Endearment (1983). Again: Debra Winger dying of cancer. Need I say more?
  • Saving Mr. Banks (2013). There's just so much emotional weight to a person who staunchly keeps every vulnerable emotion under lock and key like P. L. Travers in the shape of the always fabulous Emma Thompson. I never knew the story behind Mary Poppins but it certainly gives a whole new perspective to watching the old sugar-coated movie from 1964 (or the new one for that matter).
  • Finding Neverland (2004). Again with the children's authors having emotional cry-outs with (step)kids after they've lost their mother to sickness. *sigh*
  • The Secret Garden (1993). Something in this movie always resonated very much with me from a very young age. How it's all viewed from a child's perspective; Mary's unselfishness and longing to belong uncovered underneath all that loneliness and deflective obstinacy she holds up as a shield... well, it carries all the more depth to the uplifting ending but is no less heart-rendering.
  • Any Studio Ghibli film really. They just bring out all the emotions.
I've run out of examples, for now. I think I need to go and find something that'll cheer me up. This has been a depressing post, to be honest...

Shadowlands (1993)

Comments